St. Joseph Friary on West 142nd Street between Broadway and Hamilton Place in Hamilton Heights, upper Manhattan
Saint Joseph Friary is an historic building in the Hamilton Heights section of Harlem. It was a convent for French sisters in the late 1800’s, and a Crusillo retreat center in the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s. In 1996 the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal moved in. The friary is the location for the postulancy formation program. The friars also have a ministry of presence and friendship with the poor. An informal lunch on Thursdays, affectionately called “Saint Joseph’s Table”, is a popular social and spiritual gathering.